Welcome to Lincoln's semi annual Wealth for my Health challenge!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Trader Joe's - a review

I went to Trader Joes (http://www.traderjoes.com/) when they first opened in Lincoln back in December. The place was PACKED but I still managed to find quite a few great products. However, I wanted to go back again when the newness had worn off so I could peruse the aisles without holding up 20 people. I went the other night about an hour before close and I almost had the place to myself. The store isn’t huge, but they carry TONS of products. Trader Joe’s is known for carrying “unconventional and interesting products” for low, low prices. You can find lots of organic and healthy food there, not a lot of junk food. Oh yes, and don’t forget about the 2 buck chuck – cheap (but good) bottles of wine!


Here is a photo of some of the products I bought (there a few products from Hy-Vee too, I stopped at Hy-Vee on my way home)



First, let me talk about their cheese selection – holy cow! They have hundreds (maybe not hundreds, but it surely seems like it) of cheeses to select from, and we aren’t talking about American and Cheddar cheese. As you can see in the photo I bought a block of apricot stilton. Portion control is important here, because you could eat the whole block in one sitting. I like to put that cheese on salads – adds just a bit of sweetness to the salad. I also bought Lacey Marbled Swiss. It’s a blend of Swiss and Colby cheese. My favorite afternoon snack is half a slice of that cheese, 3 Triscuits (as pictured) and an apple. You will also find peach mange salsa and black bean salsa – I am definitely a lover of salsas. Instead of fried corn chips, I use Triscuits.

The coolest thing I found at Trader Joe’s is a Guacamole “kit”. It comes with 2 fresh whole avocados, two Roma tomatoes, one clove of garlic, one lime and a small yellow onion. The cutest thing ever… for only $3.59. Again, instead of corn chips I use a healthier cracker.

Some cheap and healthy breakfast foods – frozen whole grain waffles ($1.99 for 8 waffles) and peanut butter ($1.79) with just peanuts and salt! By the way, I love putting peanut butter on my waffles, with a little applesauce on top.

Frozen, already cooked brown rice ($2.99). This is SOOO convenient when I am in a pinch during lunch time - the rice only takes 3 minutes to prepare in the microwave and I just add that to some already prepared homemade stir fry (diced chicken and veggies of your choice). I cook up a big batch of diced chicken breasts, veggies and seasonings, and package them and freeze them in 2 cup portions. That’s enough to feed myself and my two little girls. However, you can package it in single servings, or whatever is necessary to feed your family. Throw it in the microwave while the rice cools a bit, and you have a healthy, quick lunch!

Frozen Lime Chili Chicken Burgers ($3.49 for 4 patties). I can pronounce all the words on this food label, they are incredibly healthy and make a quick dinner. I spread Mustard Garlic Aioli ($2.49) on an Earthgrain round bun, put the chicken burger on the bun and topped with a piece of cheese. Delish! I had a cup of vegetables as my side (Grilled Eggplant and Vegetable Medley (red and yellow pepper and tomatoes)) for a complete dinner!

I also bought some Pink Himalayan Salt and Crushed Red Pepper - $1.99/piece.

I found Butternut Squash Soup (to make this recipe here) and Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup – would be a perfect match with a whole wheat grilled cheese sandwich on a cold day. ($2.49/$2.79)

Not pictured, is Trader Joe’s Reduced Guilt Fat Free Brownies.My little girls and I had a playdate with another little girl and they wanted to make brownies. So, all 3 little girls helped make these and they tasted awesome! A box of this brownie mix coupled with 2/3 cup Vanilla Non Fat Yogurt – and you’re good to go! They even have directions on the box if you want to make just one brownie – in the microwave. What a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth without ingesting a lot of calories and fat. The mix cost $2.49 and the yogurt cost $2.99, and there was some yogurt left over – great to top the brownie with.

I couldn’t get all my weekly shopping done at Trader Joe’s – but it’s a cool place to shop every once in a while to stock up on some different products. Check them out – 3120 Pine Lake Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment