Welcome to Lincoln's semi annual Wealth for my Health challenge!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Shelly: Week Two

Total Weight Lost: 9 pounds
Week 1 Miles: 56
Week 2 Miles: 80
Total Miles Ridden: 136 


I’m on day 18 of the WFMH challenge, and honestly…this is a lot more fun than I expected!  It’s been more than a week since my last entry was written, but we decided to change it up a bit.  I’ll be doing a write-up each week AFTER the weigh in, so you can see my progress each week.  This should be fun for everyone, and extra motivational for me since my “numbers” will be included J  In addition to pounds lost, I will be including another number:  miles ridden.  This is part of a goal that holds really special meaning for me.  Stay tuned next week for a video check in that explains that in more detail.

Here is a brief rundown of how things have been going since my last journal:

Exercise:  Mike Bevard at Capital City Boot Camps did not disappoint with the first boot camp after the Labor Day holiday.  I’ve been going to boot camp for some time before the WFMH challenge started, and I’ve got to say – I think last Tuesday’s class was the hardest yet.  In boot camp speak, we definitely “got after it”…  Seriously, if you want to get in shape, and you live in the Lincoln area, give Mike a call.  He will work you harder than you thought you were capable of, and it feels amazing when you’re done.  Outside of our weekly boot camp, I’ve been working on different and/or fun ways to incorporate calorie burning in my daily life.  As much as I like riding my bike, walking, etc. sometimes it can get boring or repetitive.  Also, I’ve been wearing a Bodybugg during this challenge, and it’s super fun to see how many calories different things burn.  To that end, I’ve spent some time at the park with a (borrowed) small child, swimming in the pool at my apartment complex, and parking REALLY far away when I have to go somewhere.  I feel really good about the amount of exercise I’m getting, but wearing a Bodybugg is really eye opening.  If I were ‘guessing’ on this and couldn’t see the actual number of calories burned, I know that I would be overestimating.  For me, metrics are a key piece of being successful at this.

Nutrition:  I said last week that Nutrition had been harder than exercise, and I stand by that statement!  I feel like I had a breakthrough this week though.  First of all, on Sunday at the grocery store, three things happened:  1) didn’t take very long, 2) wasn’t any more expensive than pre-challenge, and 3) nothing in my cart contained white flour or added sugar.  This felt like a huge victory!  Also, another sign of a breakthrough:  I have a menu for the week that does not have me eating the same thing for lunch every day.  Yay!  Karen Kuzma, the registered dietiyian at midtown Hy-Vee, is totally the reason for all this progress.  In addition to cleaning out my kitchen, she also took all of the WFMH participants on a tour of the grocery store and gave us TONS of useful information.  I expected the tour to be “eat this, not that” style, but it really wasn’t.  It was more comprehensive, and extremely informative.  I would definitely recommend something like this if you’re serious about changing your life permanently. 

Bonus:  This really has been a lot more fun than I expected.  I feel like I’m making new friends, which is sometimes hard to do in a city when you’re an adult.  This part is awesome!  Also, and I can’t stress this enough, cutting white flour and added sugar from my diet has made a huge impact on how alert I feel at any given time.  I just don’t have that mid-afternoon feeling of needing a nap anymore, and I LOVE that.  It did take a few days to get past wanting to eat highly refined/processed white bread products, since I had been eating like that for so long, but after the first week it really wasn’t an issue any more.
Overall, I’m super excited to see where this is going.  I’m having a lot of fun, and I feel like I’m really making progress.  Follow along next week to find out more about my bike riding goal, and why it means so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment